Friday, October 26, 2007

Now What?

WHERE IS MY JIM WHEN I NEED TO BE ENTERTAINED AT THE OFFICE???
Another week has gone by. You know, try as I might, I struggle blogging consistently. I think I’m a feaster or faminer….note to self – put this on the list for Self-Improvements of 2008: be consistent in all your pursuits! But, here I am. Half of the office is either out sick or out of the country, so I’m contemplating whether to prepare my lesson for Sunday or to blog. Obviously, blogging won.

Thanks for the words of encouragement about the GMAT. All three of you who read my blog probably know that I didn’t do so well. At least not as well as I had hoped or imagined. And I don’t know if I did well enough to get into my PhD programs I’m targeting. But we’ll see. I at least did well enough on the verbal that colleges interested in applicants who can write well may not be deterred by my horrifically substandard math score. *crossing the fingers!* I was a little…okay….a LOT….disappointed and heart-bruised on Saturday after taking it. But, you know, after a few hours of crying and watching whatever I could find on TV and making banana bread (the perfect therapeutic food – nothing beats beating up bananas and making KILLER dough), I realized that maybe this is going to be a trial of my faith. It would require no faith if I did amazingly on the GMAT, - just apply and poof. Because I didn’t, it’s time to trust that this is all for the greater good and that something will work out. I’m hoping. So now it’s time to write essays, pay atrocious application fees, and wait. These might be some REALLY long months ahead.

Onto brighter topics- I’m going 4-wheeling on Saturday! I am so excited! My GMAT class has prevented me from going this past month and a half, and I was afraid that I was going to be unable to go again until next year. Now how sad would that have been. Happily, 60+ degree sunny weather is perfect for a 4-wheeling jaunt in the desert or mountains. Hooray! Nothing clears the mind so well as being reckless in a controlled fashion surrounded by nature. I have to admit, I do get scared sometimes following my fearless father onto paths that really aren’t paths (there was a mountain ridgeline incident once….I still can’t believe I did that), but it’s so stinking fun and the adrenaline rush is so great, one can’t help enjoying themselves. And so I intend to enjoy myself fully and completely come Saturday! If you haven’t been 4-wheeling in your life, call me. You need to go. Trust me!

Other happenings – I’m cutting my hair tomorrow. Yes, that would be Saturday. Yes, it is before going 4-wheeling. So I will inaugurate my new ‘do by getting a dust-filled helmet head. Ha. Oh well. It’s time to change something, and as I can’t change my height, weight, or wardrobe without considerable expense and in a day’s time, I have settled for my hair. And the scary part is that when I get into this mood, I tend to do drastic things to my hair that I later regret. In the moment it’s liberating, but afterwards, it’s just a nightmare. There was the mushroom ‘do, the choppy ‘do, the Jennifer Aniston ‘do (actually, as I recall, that wasn’t a totally bad one)….maybe this is one of the reasons I avoid photos of myself at all costs. I hate to see my hair escapades captured for all to see and remember and mock. Hmmm. Anyway, I don’t think I’m going to go too drastic this time. I hope I’ve learned my lesson by now. But….we’ll see.

So now that the GMAT craziness is over, I have an abundance of free time on my hands. I have to ask….now what? It was like a marathon race preparing for that test, and now that it’s over, what should I do with myself and my time? Suggestions? Both plausible and imagination-happy suggestions are accepted. What do you do with your free time after not having free time?

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Hey...you could hang out with me! We are overdue for a get-together...

The Golden Snitch said...

Oooo, or come hang with me! We can watch Pirates.

Heidi said...

When do we get to see pictures of te new haircut?!

xox

pinksuedeshoe said...

What to do with free time? I rearrange furniture in my head, make lists of things I want to accomplish, things I can't afford to buy, movies I want to see, places I want to go and people I should get in touch with. Now, because I have free time doesn't mean that I do all of these things, but I sure make some good lists of things to do!