Friday, October 19, 2007

The Countdown to G-Day


So I’m sitting at work, after having written three practice essays, reviewed all my notecards, and even contemplated taking another test, utterly devastated and excited that tomorrow is G-Day. Yup! GMAT Day! It’s finally arrived! After thinking about taking it for five months, kinda prepping for one month, and seriously prepping for a month a half, G-Day has come. This test will be one of the deciding factors into letting me pursue higher education. So one might innocently wonder, so….how am I doing?

Honestly, it’s odd. I thought I’d be this mixture of negative, self-defeating emotions. Thanks heavens I’m not! I’m nervous. Oh yes. Completely. But I’m also ready to take the beast and see how I do. I mean, it’ll be nice to have it over with (barring the notion of retaking it if my scores are substandard) and have a good portion of time and energy to devote to other pursuits. Like writing admissions essays. Hmmm. Maybe I should stick with the GMAT. Okay, I’m kidding about that. Let’s get it over with! As of right now, I feel ready. I know the formulas for surface areas (ha – they just all went rushing through my head and I had to pause to go through them individually – I am my own worst enemy!), the rules for properly using subjunctive (which reminds me that I need to go over pronoun cases tonight), and how to identify logical fallacies in arguments. I feel definitely geeky at this point. But given all that prep and random useless knowledge, I have no idea how that will translate into me achieving a decent and useable score. That’s the problem – using the knowledge as a homing signal for the right answer. 37 times for math questions and 41 times for verbal questions. *Sigh* I’m trying to remind myself that if grad school needs to happen, all my prep and angst and headaches will not have been in vain. But who knows. Only time will tell. And as I write, time will definitely tell, because by this time tomorrow, I’ll have been done with the monster. Erego, the resulting glee or gloom will be proclaimed to all by about 12:38 on Saturday, October 20th. Til then, blogging world!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Good Luck!!! My husband is studying for that test too! Its a killer.

HRH said...

I'll be thinking of you!

The Golden Snitch said...

I can't wait to hear how it went! I know you totally rocked it.